We’ve always loved Key Lime Pie and I plan to make a traditional version this summer (probably at the beach on vacation.) But this one sounded so interesting I had to give it a try. We were not disappointed. It is very good and creamy and tastes like a cross between Key Lime Pie and cheesecake.
This is another one of those multi-step pies but I was surprised at how quickly it all came together. Don’t let the steps scare you – it works!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted, divided (I only toasted the ones used as a garnish)
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened, divided
- ½ cup key lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated key lime peel (zest)
- Dash salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1¾ cups miniature marshmallows
- 4½ teaspoons butter
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Combine the flour, brown sugar and ½ cup almonds in a food processor. Process until well blended. Add melted butter and honey and pulse until the mixture crumbly but holds together if pinched. Press mixture onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool on a rack while preparing the lime filling.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk, 5 ounces of cream cheese, lime juice, lime zest, salt and egg yolk. Beat on low speed until combined. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a rack, then refrigerate.
- In a small deep mixing bowl, combine the marshmallows and butter. Microwave on 50% power for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat until mixture is completely melted. Add remaining 3 ounces of cream cheese and whipping cream. Beat until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Beat marshmallow mixture until light and fluffy. Spread over pie; sprinkle with remaining toasted almonds.
Have you seen all the fresh corn in the grocery store these days? I have two corn recipes coming up this week so please check back!
Thanks so much for stopping by!