This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Homemade biscuits are fluffy, buttery and oh so good!
How biscuits and love can heal a broken heart.
My husband was commuting to work in Atlanta, our youngest started kindergarten and our son started first grade.For the first time in my life I wasn’t working and wasn’t sure what to do with myself.Every Friday morning Aunt Teeny would make a wonderful breakfast with sausage, bacon, eggs and homemade biscuits squished together in a cast iron skillet.Uncle Wayne, Aunt Teeny and their oldest son Clyde invited me to be part of their weekly family meet and eat.We drank coffee, talked, laughed, ate biscuits and got to know each other.They told me old family stories, and I shared mine.All the while they helped me heal from losing both my parents within two years of each other.
Doesn’t it make you wonder why life has to get in such a hurry? Those few months of Friday breakfasts truly were the best of times. And those biscuits were great too. In memory of my favorite biscuit maker Christine who helped me heal, and my Mom who taught me to bake, let’s bring back Friday breakfasts that last until lunch! Let’s eat more biscuits!
How to make homemade biscuits:
PRINT THE RECIPE!
- 1 ¾ cups bread flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons melted butter, for brushing on top
- Whisk together the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder and sugar. Stir in heavy cream until a dough forms. Do not overwork. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, and gently pat it into an 8-inch circle about ¾-inch thick. Use a sharp 2 ¼-inch biscuit cutter to cut rounds. Place them on a lightly greased (or parchment-lined) baking sheet. Gather the scraps and repeat cutting out biscuits.
- Brush the biscuits with butter, if desired, for extra flavor.
- Place the pan of biscuits in the freezer for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425°F while the biscuits are in the freezer. Bake for 20 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove from oven and if any melted butter is left over, brush it on top of the baked biscuits. Serve immediately.