Viennese Hot Chocolate
Rich hot chocolate made with milk, sugar and good quality chocolate, spiked with peppermint Kahlua and topped with fresh whipped cream and shaved chocolate - a delicious winter treat!
Servings: 3 servings
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped (good quality chocolate is best)
- 1 tablespoon sugar, extra fine sugar if you have it
- 2 tablespoons peppermint KAHLÚA, optional
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar
- Shaved chocolate or a pinch of cocoa powder for garnish
Warm milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the sugar and whisk until dissolved. Add half the chopped chocolate to the warm milk and whisk until melted. Add the remaining chocolate and again whisk occasionally until dissolved and well blended.
Remove from the heat and add the Kahlua if desired.
Pour the cream in a small cold mixing bowl. Stir in the vanilla. Beat on low until starting to thicken. Sift in the confectioners sugar and beat on high until soft peaks form.
Divide the hot chocolate into three cups and top each with a heaping spoonful of the whipped cream. Garnish with sifted cocoa or shaved chocolate. Serve immediately.