Strawberry Salad with Chicken and Poppy Seed Dressing
Simple and light, and deliciously refreshing ~ Strawberry Salad with Chicken and Poppy Seed Dressing is a great main course salad with an amazing combination of flavors.
For the Strawberry Dressing:
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup strawberries, tops removed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, or white balsamic
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Canola oil
For the Salad:
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 8 cups red leaf lettuce, torn combined with field greens
- 2 cups strawberries, cleaned with tops removed, halved
- 1 chicken breast, roasted, grilled or poached, chopped
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup thin sliced red onion (if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
In a small dry skillet over medium heat, toast the almonds until fragrant and golden, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer the toasted almonds to a small plate and add the poppy seeds to the now clean skillet. Toast the poppy seeds until slightly darkened and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Set aside to cool while preparing the salad and dressing.
To make the dressing:
In a blender or food processor, puree the 1/2 cup of chopped strawberries. Add the red-wine vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Process until blended. Add the Canola oil and blend until creamy. Check the seasoning and add more pepper if needed. Stir in the toasted poppy seeds. Set the dressing aside.
To make the salad:
Divide the lettuce and field greens between two large bowls. Top each salad with 1 cup of strawberries, half the chopped chicken, feta cheese, black pepper, and onions if using. Sprinkle with additional poppy seeds. Drizzle each salad with dressing and serve.
You will have a little dressing left over. Store in a screw-top jar in the refrigerator and use within a day or two.
Rotisserie chicken breast is a good and easy addition to this simple weeknight meal.
Inspired by a recipe by Laura Dolson, from Very Well