Creamy Taco Soup
Servings: 8 Servings
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1.5 to 2 pounds cooked chicken, chopped (about 3 chicken breasts)
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ large onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons citrus seasoning blend (like McCormick Citrus or Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 7 ounces plain Greek Yogurt (nonfat or 2%) I used Fage
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Suggested garnishes: chips, red onion, cilantro, lime wedges, cheese, jalapeño slices and hot sauce
Add the drained, rinsed white beans to a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Add the chicken broth and puree using an immersion or stick blender until all beans are broken down. Add all ingredients from the black beans through the cayenne. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring frequently.
Remove the soup from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Add the Greek yogurt, cilantro and lime juice and stir until blended. Garnish as desired and serve.
For the slow cooker:
Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4-5 hours.
For the Sriracha Lime Chips:
Cut white corn tortillas into strips or wedges. Heat vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet on medium, until hot. Add the chips, a few at a time, and cook until light brown. Remove to a paper towel lined baking sheet. Immediately sprinkle with Sriracha dry seasoning and lime zest. Repeat with remaining corn tortillas.