Creamy Taco Soup
A healthy, protein packed, fiber rich, flavorful soup loaded with tender chicken and plenty of spices, perfect for the slow cooker or the stove top!
Servings: 8 Servings
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes no salt added
- 1 cup fresh corn or frozen corn
- 1.5 to 2 pounds cooked chicken chopped (about 3 chicken breasts)
- 1 jalapeno seeds and ribs removed, diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ large onion diced
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons citrus seasoning blend (like McCormick Citrus or Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 7 ounces plain Greek Yogurt (nonfat or 2%) I used Fage
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Suggested garnishes: chips, red onion, cilantro, lime wedges, cheese, jalapeño slices and hot sauce
Add the drained, rinsed white beans to a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Add the chicken broth and puree using an immersion or stick blender until all beans are broken down. Add all ingredients from the black beans through the cayenne. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring frequently.
Remove the soup from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Add the Greek yogurt, cilantro and lime juice and stir until blended. Garnish as desired and serve.
For the slow cooker:
Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4-5 hours.
For the Sriracha Lime Chips:
Cut white corn tortillas into strips or wedges. Heat vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet on medium, until hot. Add the chips, a few at a time, and cook until light brown. Remove to a paper towel lined baking sheet. Immediately sprinkle with Sriracha dry seasoning and lime zest. Repeat with remaining corn tortillas.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. When multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Garnishes and optional ingredients are not included.
Calories: 46kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 0.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Trans Fat: 0.003g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 19mg | Potassium: 178mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 357IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 1mg