Key Lime Pie
This summer classic has a creamy smooth, tart filling and a sweet graham cracker crust. Use fresh key limes and plenty of zest for the best flavor!
For the graham cracker crust:
- 1 ¼ cups crushed graham crackers (one whole wax paper package - not the whole box)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
For the key lime filling:
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks, room temperature
- ½ cup fresh squeezed key lime juice, strained of seeds and pulp
- 1 teaspoon key lime zest, plus more for garnish
For the sweetened whipped cream:
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sifted powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
To prepare the graham cracker crust:
Preheat oven to 350°F. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the graham crackers and ¼ cup of sugar, process until finely crushed. Add the melted butter and pulse until well mixed.
Press the mixture firmly onto the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 8 minutes at 350°F. Remove from the oven and cool while preparing the filling.
To prepare the key lime filling:
In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and the egg yolks until smooth. Add the lime juice and zest and whisk until blended. Pour the filling into the prepared crust and bake for 15 minutes. Allow the pie to cool on a rack to room temperature.
Refrigerate several hours or overnight before serving.
To prepare the whipped cream:
Beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until stiff but still a little soft. Using a pastry bag and large star tip, pipe large blossoms of whipped cream around the outside edge of the pie. Garnish with sliced key limes and additional key lime zest if desired.