Traditional creamy potato salad - perfect for BBQ's and potluck dinners. Always a family favorite!
Servings: 12 servings
- 6 baking potatoes do not peel (russet)
- 3 hard cooked eggs yolks and whites separated
- 1 ½ cups mayonnaise or more as needed
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- ½ cup onion finely diced (red or sweet onions both work well)
- 1 cup celery diced (about 2 large ribs)
- ⅓ cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon table salt or 1 ½ teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- paprika for garnish
Scrub potatoes under clean running water. Leave the potatoes whole with skin on and place in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, turning potatoes occasionally, until fork tender. Drain and allow to cool slightly. Remove skin and chop into bite sized pieces.
While the potatoes are cooking cook the eggs. Remove the yolks to a large mixing bowl. Chop eggs whites and set aside. Smash the yolks with a fork and add the mayonnaise and mustard. Mix well.
Add all other ingredients except the potatoes and mix until well blended. Check the seasonings and add salt if needed. Gently fold in the potatoes until coated. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with paprika. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Potato salad can be made the day before planning to serve. This salad keeps well for up to 5 days well sealed in an airtight container.
Calories: 309kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 13g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 469mg | Potassium: 507mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 207IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg