Strawberry Breakfast Cake
A not-to-sweet cake loaded with fresh strawberries and perfect for breakfast, brunch or as a light dessert.
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour divided (284g)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (170g)
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled (113g or 4oz)
- 1 cup sour cream (8-ounces)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup quartered or diced strawberries (6oz) plus 7 or 8 halved strawberries for topping
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar for topping
- powdered sugar for serving
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl whisk together 2 cups of the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and granulated sugar. Make a well in the center and set aside.
In a small bowl combine 1 cup diced strawberries with the remaining ¼ cup of flour. Toss to coat. Set aside.
In a separate small mixing bowl combine the melted cooled butter, sour cream, vanilla and the lightly beaten eggs. Fold together with a rubber spatula until blended. Add the sour cream mixture to the flour and sugar. Fold together until the dry ingredients are moistened. The batter will be thick. Gently fold in the 1-cup of chopped strawberries and any extra flour. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Allow the cake batter to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.
Scatter the remaining sliced strawberries on top of the batter, then generously sprinkle with coarse or granulated sugar. Bake at 350°F for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with no wet batter. The top should be light golden brown.
Cool slightly before serving either warm or at room temperature. Dust the top with powdered sugar and serve. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. When multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Garnishes and optional ingredients are not included.
- This recipe has not been tested with frozen strawberries.
- Top with lightly sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- This cake freezes well for up to 3 months.
- Bake this cake in a 9x9-inch square pan if desired. Reduce the baking time to 35 to 45 minutes.
Calories: 390kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 88mg | Sodium: 339mg | Potassium: 122mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 595IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 121mg | Iron: 2mg