Summer Squash & Onions
A simple uncomplicated dish that's healthy, delicious, and the perfect way to enjoy the season's best yellow squash and zucchini.
Servings: 10 people
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large or 2 small sweet onions, chopped or sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped or sliced
- 3 yellow squash, chopped or sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic (do not drain)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt like Accent
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash seasoning, any flavor (no salt added - we like Table Blend)
Warm a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and butter. Once the butter is melted, add the chopped onions and sauté until crisp tender and starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the squash, zucchini, tomatoes with juice, pepper, salt and Mrs. Dash.
Heat until boiling. Cover and cook over medium-low until the squash is crisp tender but not falling apart. Remove the lid and boil until some of the liquid is evaporated.
If freezing for later use, cook only a few minutes to mix all ingredients, cool and freeze.
- You can cook this down until it's like a vegetable stew or just sauté until crisp tender.
- If freezing for later use, lightly cook the vegetables without a lid on the skillet.
- See the Cook's Notes in the post and let me know if you have questions!