Blueberry Crumble Pie
Sweet blueberries cover with a crispy crumble topping baked in a wonderful summer pie. A must make for your ripe blueberries!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 9-inch deep dish pie crust well chilled before filling
For the blueberry filling:
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar (135g)
- 2 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 cups fresh blueberries rinsed and dried
- ½ small apple peeled and cored, then grated
For the crumble topping:
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour (85g)
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar (60g)
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter cold, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and place in the oven to preheat as well. Remove the unbaked, prepared 9-inch deep dish pie crust from the refrigerator. Line the pie crust / pie plate with parchment paper and add pie weights or dried beans. Bake the crust for 20 minutes.
Remove the parchment paper and pie weights or beans and set aside. Return the crust to the oven and bake another 10 minutes or until it starts to brown lightly.
Remove from the oven and set aside to cool while preparing the filling.
To prepare the filling:
Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon zest. Place the clean, dry blueberries in a large mixing bowl. Add the grated apple, lemon juice and sugar/cornstarch mixture. Gently toss the blueberries to combine or use a rubber spatula and gently turn to coat. Set aside until the berries start to release their juices - 20-30 minutes, while preparing the topping.
To prepare the topping:
In the bowl of the food processor combine the flour, brown sugar, butter and granulated sugar. Pulse until combined. Remove to a small mixing bowl and using the back of a large spoon press some of the topping together to form large chunks. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To assemble the pie, pour the blueberry mixture into the blind baked pie crust. Top with the crumble mixture spreading evenly.
Bake on the foil lined baking sheet at 375°F for 1 hour. After 30 minutes, tent the pie with foil if starts to brown too quickly.
Once the filling bubbles and the pie is golden brown, remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
* The apple helps thicken the filling so it stays together when sliced.
* Use our favorite Perfect Pie Crust Recipe in 3-easy steps or your favorite recipe. You can also use a pre-made frozen crust.
* Filling inspired by a recipe from a July 2011 Bon Appetit Magazine
Calories: 412kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 105mg | Potassium: 139mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 38g | Vitamin A: 293IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg