Marinated Tomato & Tortellini Salad
Fresh garden tomatoes marinated in herbs and a flavorful vinaigrette combined with tortellini and vegetables
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 whole scallions, sliced thin
For the salad:
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini, cooked and cooled
- ¼ red onion, sliced thin
- 1 avocado, peeled then sliced or cubed
- 1 english cucumber, peeled and cubed or sliced
- 1 cup cubed cheese like provolone, cheddar or crumbled feta
- 1 cup assorted seedless olives
- Lettuce for serving
- Fresh ground black pepper for serving
- Lemon wedges for serving, if desired
In a large bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients. Add the tomatoes and toss to coat. Cover and set aside at room temperature for several hours or until ready to serve.
Cook and cool the tortellini and drain well. Add the tortellini and the sliced red onion to the marinated tomatoes while preparing the other vegetables, if desired.
To serve, line a large salad bowl or 4 individual bowls with lettuce. Using a slotted spoon, divide the tomatoes, onions and tortellini between the salad bowl(s). Add all remaining vegetables, olives and cheese. Top with fresh ground black pepper and pass the remaining vinaigrette for drizzling on individual servings. Serve with lemon wedges if desired.
Great served with crusty bread to soak up all the juice.
Substitute rotisserie or grilled chicken for the tortellini for a protein packed hearty meal.
Add chickpeas if desired or any of your other favorite vegetables.