Beet, Avocado and Pea Salad
A lovely fresh salad with great flavor!
Servings: 2 entree salads
- 4 small or 2 medium beets, peeled and sliced paper-thin
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons Cholula Hot Sauce
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced thin
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- a few mint leaves
- 1/3 cup pea shoots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, blanched quickly and rinsed in cold water
- freshly ground black pepper
In a large mixing bowl combine the olive oil, sherry vinegar, hot sauce, salt, pepper and sugar. Add the sliced onions and toss to coat. Set aside while preparing the beets.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the beets and blanch for 3 to 5 minutes or until semi-cooked. Drain and rinse under cold water. Pat dry and add to the marinating onions. The onions should marinate for at least 15 minutes overall - but 30 minutes is better.
To serve spread half the beet mixture on a large plate or platter. Top with the avocado, cilantro, mint, pea shoots and peas. Add the remaining beet mixture on top. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and serve.