Wine Poached Chicken, Pear and Walnut Salad
A salad with wine poached chicken, walnuts, pears and cheese. Dressed simply with red wine vinegar and olive oil this recipe is a keeper!
Servings: 4 servings
For the wine poached chicken:
- 2 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts (I poached 4 reserving two for later use)
- ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns, or coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cups dry white wine
- a few springs of fresh Thyme
- a few springs of fresh Rosemary
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 4 large escarole leaves, washed and torn
- 1 Bosc pear, sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 ounce shaved Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
To poach the chicken combine the wine, herbs, and peppercorns in a high-sided frying pan, braiser or saute pan. Make sure the wine will almost cover the chicken breasts so use a pan that is just about large enough to fit them in one layer. Bring the wine mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer. Add the chicken breasts and poach (not boil), turning once, about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and cover the pan. Allow the chicken to rest in the wine liquid and finish cooking for about 15 more minutes. Remove the chicken, slice or shred as desired and enjoy it warm or refrigerate for later use.
Combine the red wine vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper. Whisk until combined. Drizzle half the vinaigrette over the sliced chicken breasts. Divide the escarole leaves, pear, shallot and walnuts among four plates. Top with the chicken and cheese.
Season with salt and pepper if desired and drizzle lightly with remaining vinaigrette. Serve and enjoy!
(adapted from a recipe in Whole Living, October 2011)
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. When multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Garnishes and optional ingredients are not included.
- Chicken breasts may be poached in any flavorful broth instead of wine. Fortify the poaching liquid with left over vegetables and herbs.
Calories: 515kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 868mg | Potassium: 1861mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 9841IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 356mg | Iron: 5mg