Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling
Spongy, well spiced pumpkin cake rolled up with a silky cream cheese filling. An instant holiday classic!
For the pumpkin roll:
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar for dusting on towel before rolling up
- ¾ cups all-purpose flour (100g)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice (add up to 1 additional teaspoon for more spice)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar (222g)
- ⅔ cup canned pumpkin puree (165g)
For the filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted (115g)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
To prepare the cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 10 x 15 jelly roll pan with parchment paper with extra hanging over sides. Set aside.
Lay a thin clean kitchen tea towel out flat on a clean kitchen counter. Sift powdered sugar over the towel.
In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, pumpkin spice and salt. Set aside.
In a separate large mixing bowl combine the eggs and sugar. Using an electric mixer beat until lightened and thick, about 6-8 minutes. Add the pumpkin and mix on low until blended. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour mixture until smooth. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and then carefully turn the cake out (face down) onto the prepared sugared towel. Gently peel off the parchment paper and discard. Slowly roll the cake up in the towel, starting with narrow end. Cool to room temperature before filling.
To prepare the filling:
Combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer beat until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and lemon juice, if using. Mix on low until blended and smooth.
Gently and slowly unroll the cooled cake. Dollop the cream cheese filling evenly over cake then spread leaving a ½-inch border around the edges. Re-roll the cake (without the kitchen towel). Wrap the cake roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Originally adapted from Libby's Original Pumpkin Roll recipe
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. When multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Garnishes and optional ingredients are not included.
- Substitute 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves for the pumpkin spice
- Pumpkin Roll can be made the day before serving.
- The cake should be served immediately after sprinkling with powdered sugar.
- The surface of the leftover cake may be moist after the powdered sugar soaks into the sponge. The cake is still good to eat for several days. Add fresh powdered sugar to the leftover roll before serving if desired.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Calories: 397kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 331mg | Potassium: 122mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 46g | Vitamin A: 3823IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 1mg