Pumpkin Mousse & Ginger Snap Parfait
Layers of delicious light mousse with crumbled ginger snap cookies
Servings: 12 small desserts
For the mousse:
- 1 envelope (.25 ounce) unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup spiced rum
- 1 (15-oz) can pure pumpkin
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
For the whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the cookie layer:
- 3 1/2 cups crushed ginger snap cookies (see link in notes)
To prepare the mousse:
Pour the rum to a small heatproof metal bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over the rum and let it stand for about 10 minutes or until soft.
In a large mixing bowl combine the pumpkin, sugars, egg yolks, orange zest, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and salt. Whisk until combined.
In a 2-quart saucepan add water to a 1-inch depth. Heat the water to boiling, then reduce to simmer. Set the bowl of softened gelatin over the simmering water. Heat and stir until the gelatin is dissolved. Immediately whisk the hot mixture into the pumpkin making sure it is well blended.
In a large mixing bowl beat 1 1/2 cups cream on high until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the pumpkin mixture and set aside. Do not over-beat.
To prepare the whipped cream:
To assemble the parfaits:
Mousse adapted from a recipe by Ina Garten
Click HERE for our easy Ginger Snap Cookie Recipe