Easy Oven Baked Beans Recipe
Classic potluck baked beans with bacon.
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons reserved bacon drippings
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 (28-ounce) cans pork and beans
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Rough chop the bacon and set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease in the skillet. Warm over medium heat and add the chopped onion. Cook until the onion is soft, scraping up any bacon bits on the bottom of the skillet.
Add the pork and beans, brown sugar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and cayenne (if usinto the onion mixture. Stir to combine. Transfer the bean mixture to an oven-proof skillet, casserole dish or baking dish and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 105 minutes (1¾ hours). Remove from the oven and stir, then top with crumbled bacon. Allow the casserole to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Inspired by a Better Homes & Garden recipe
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. When multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Garnishes and optional ingredients are not included.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Casserole can be made ahead, covered and refrigerated before baking. Bring to room temperature for 30 minutes then bake according to directions.
- Try to find plain pork and beans that are not enhanced with BBQ sauce, maple or brown sugar. They tend to have a very thick sauce which will be even thicker once baked in the oven. Plain pork and beans in tomato sauce is best.
- The cayenne pepper is optional but adds a slight zingy bite we love.
- We always use uncured bacon. Any variety of bacon will do from applewood smoked to black pepper, and even maple.
- Substitute your favorite BBQ sauce for the ketchup if desired!
Calories: 135kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 405mg | Potassium: 273mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 56IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1mg