Mexican Layered Salad
A fun and delicious mashup of meatless nachos and a fresh, crispy green salad! Great for casual entertaining.
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream or skyr)
- 1/4 cup prepared taco sauce, or salsa
- 1 teaspoon honey or granulated sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- juice of 1/2 a lime
For the salad:
- 4 cups lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces (we recommend Romaine)
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thin
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup corn (fresh, canned or frozen - SEE NOTE)
- 1/2 an English cucumber, sliced
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, skinned and chopped
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups tortilla chips, broken into pieces
- 1 green onion, sliced thin for garnish (optional)
To prepare the salad:
Spread the lettuce in a large serving bowl. Drizzle half the dressing over the lettuce. Top with onion, tomatoes, corn, cucumber, black beans and avocado. Drizzle the juice of 1/2 a lime over the avocado and then top with fresh grated cheese. Drizzle remaining dressing over the salad and cover with tortilla chips. Garnish with sliced green onions if desired.
- If using frozen corn, thaw and rinse in very hot water before using. Drain well. If using canned corn rinse in hot water and drain well.
- Salad can be made ahead and refrigerated up to 4 hours before serving. Do not add tortilla chips until ready to serve. Salad is best served the day it’s made. If you plan to have leftovers, omit adding the chips and pass for individual servings at the table.
- Inspired by a Cook’s Country recipe