Old-Fashioned Doughnut Muffins
These easy to make treats have a big vanilla flavor, a moist, fluffy crumb and a light glaze for a touch of added sweetness.
Servings: 12 muffins
For the muffins:
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (298g)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (173g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream (8-ounces)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly (113g)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar (156g)
- 2 ½ tablespoons milk or cream
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
To prepare the muffins:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups or cupcake liners with vegetable cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Make a well in the center.
In a small mixing bowl whisk the eggs until blended. Add the sour cream, melted butter and vanilla. Fold together with a spatula until blended. Pour the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture. Fold with the spatula until the dry ingredients are just moistened.
Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin wells. I use an ice cream scoop to portion out the batter taking care to leave it mounded so the muffins will have nice round tops. Set the unbaked muffins aside for 15-20 minutes before baking.
Bake at 400°F for 16 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with no wet batter. Cool the muffins in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool. The muffins can be slightly warm when glazed.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. When multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Garnishes and optional ingredients are not included.
- Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Muffins can be frozen before adding the glaze. Thaw completely before applying the icing.
- OPTIONAL: Omit the glaze and brush the tops of the muffins with melted butter then sprinkle or dip the tops into a mixture cinnamon and sugar.
Calories: 313kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 237mg | Potassium: 71mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 400IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 1mg