Best Buttermilk Pancakes
Light, fluffy and easy to make, buttermilk pancakes are perfect for any meal of the day!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (252g)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk, well shaken (16oz)
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream (65g or 2 ¼ oz)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- vegetable oil for greasing the pan
Optional suggested toppings:
- Fruit, syrup, butter, jam, lemon curd, powdered sugar, cinnamon, whipped cream, nuts, honey, chocolate chips, dried fruits like raisins or cranberries
In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center.
In a medium bowl whisk together the buttermilk, yogurt, eggs and vanilla. Slowly drizzle the melted butter into the buttermilk, whisking constantly. Pour the buttermilk into the dry ingredients and gently stir just until combined. Do not overmix, batter should be lumpy. Set the batter aside to rest for 10 - 15 minutes while preheating the skillet.
Preheat a nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Pour 1 teaspoons vegetable oil into the skillet. Once heated, wipe out most of the extra oil with clean paper towels.
Pour ¼ to ⅓ cup of batter into the skillet. Cook until the edges are set and the bubbles on the top start to pop. Flip the pancake using a spatula and continue cooking until golden brown.
Serve immediately or transfer to a preheated oven to keep warm. Add vegetable oil to the skillet as needed and continue cooking until batter is gone.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. When multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Garnishes and optional ingredients are not included.
- Pancake batter can be made up to 1 hour ahead. Keep refrigerated.
- Cooked pancakes can be placed in a 325F preheated oven on a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet until ready to serve.
- Substitute coconut extract for vanilla and add shredded coconut as a topping.
- Inspired by recipes on NYT and Cook's Country
Calories: 143kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 184mg | Potassium: 93mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 164IU | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 1mg