Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie with pretzel crust
A great dessert with wonderful textures and flavor, the whole family will love!
For the crust:
- 2 cups pretzel sticks (100g)
- 2 sheets of graham crackers, four squares (31g)
- 5 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter melted (70g)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (55g)
For the filling:
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, halved (about 1 quart)
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
To prepare the pretzel crust:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9-inch pie plate with vegetable cooking spray. Set aside.
In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the pretzels and graham crackers until crushed. You should have about 1 ¼ cups of crumbs. Add the melted butter and granulated sugar. Pulse until combined. Firmly press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pie plate. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely then refrigerate until ready to fill.
To prepare the filling:
In a large mixing bowl beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Add the sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Fold the mixture together using a spatula taking care not to over-mix. Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust. Refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours and up to 24 hours before serving. Overnight is best.
To prepare the strawberry topping:
Just before serving the pie, prepare the strawberries. Pour the cleaned, halved strawberries into a large bowl. Spoon 2 tablespoons strawberry jam into a small bowl. Warm the jam in the microwave on 50% power for about 10 - 15 seconds. Stir the jam and pour over the bowl of cut strawberries. Using a spatula, toss gently to coat.
Scoop mounds of strawberries on top of individual slices of the pie. Pass extra for serving, if desired.
- I don’t recommend mounding a lot of strawberries on top of the pie unless you plan to serve it all at once. If you anticipate leftovers, I recommend spooning the strawberries on each slice as they’re enjoyed. The filling is soft and too much weight from strawberries will cause it to spread.
- Refrigerate leftovers.