Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars
Enjoy this sweet and tart jammy fruit filling topped with a buttery crumble crust
Servings: 12 bars
For the crust and crumble topping:
- 1 cup granulated sugar (222g)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (378g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into cubes (226g or 8oz)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
For the strawberry rhubarb fruit layer:
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed (113g)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- juice of 1/2 fresh orange
- zest from 1 orange
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut into ½-inch thick slices (250g or 8.5oz cleaned and cut)
- 2 cups strawberries, cut into ½-inch pieces (300g or 10.5oz cleaned and cut)
For the icing: (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (115g)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk, more or less for desired consistency
To prepare the crust:
In a medium bowl whisk the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Using a pasty cutter, blend in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Add the beaten egg and mix until the dough starts to hold together but is still crumbly. Firmly press ⅔ to ¾ of the crumble mixture into the prepared pan.
To prepare the fruit layer:
In a large mixing bowl whisk together the brown sugar and cornstarch. Add the orange juice, zest, rhubarb and strawberries and toss to combine. Pour the fruit over the crust and spread evenly. Crumble the remaining topping over the fruit squeezing portions together into larger clumps.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and the fruit is bubbling. Cool completely. Whisk together the icing ingredients then drizzle over the top of the bars, if using.
The bars are best chilled before cutting.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container. If layered, separate bars with wax or parchment paper.
Calories: 420kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 96mg | Potassium: 151mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 40g | Vitamin A: 513IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 2mg