A British classic with a frangipane filling and raspberry jam baked in a sweet shortcrust pastry
For the pastry crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (252g)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar (38g)
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter chilled and cut into cubes (6oz)
- 1 large egg yolk reserve egg white for filling
- 2 tablespoons ice cold water
For the filling:
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature (8oz or 226g)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (222g)
- 1 ½ teaspoons almond extract
- 2 large eggs room temperature lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white reserved from pastry, room temperature
- 2 ¼ cups almond flour (240g)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (32g)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup raspberry jam (113g or 4oz)
- ½ cup sliced almonds (46g)
To prepare the pastry:
Combine the flour, salt and powdered sugar in the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until it forms a coarse meal. Add the egg yolk and ice water and pulse just until the dough comes together.
Gather the dough together and form into a 6 to 8-inch disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Lightly flour a large sheet of parchment paper and place the dough in the center. Roll the dough out to a 14-inch circle. If the dough starts to break and split, let it rest another 5 to 10 minutes until pliable.
Ease the dough into a 9-inch deep-dish fluted tart pan. Gently press the dough into the corners and sides of the pan. Trim the excess dough around the rim. Prick the bottom with a fork and freeze for 30 minutes.
While the pastry is in the freezer adjust one oven rack to the upper-middle position and the other to the lower-middle position. Preheat oven to 375F.
Place the chilled tart shell on a cookie sheet. Press a 14-inch piece of foil inside the tart shell and fill with beans or pie weights. Bake on the lower rack for 30 minutes. Carefully remove the foil and weights and move the cookie sheet with tart shell to the upper rack. Continue baking until the pastry is golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Remove from the oven and cool while preparing the filling. Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and reduce the oven temperature to 350F.
To prepare the filling:
In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the almond extract, eggs and egg white. Mix until blended. Using a spatula, fold in the almond flour, all-purpose flour and salt until blended. Set aside.
Spread raspberry jam over the bottom of the baked pastry. Gently spoon small mounds of almond filling over the jam. Carefully spread the filling to the edges of the tart and smooth out the surface. Sprinkle sliced almonds evenly over the surface.
Place the tart back onto the cookie sheet and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Tent with foil halfway through baking if browning too quickly. The filling may jiggle a little when you shake the pan. This is okay.
Remove from the oven and cool completely on a rack. Serve at room temperature.
- Store well sealed at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Freeze for longer storage.
- Pastry recipe adapted from Nigel Slater
- Filling recipe inspired by King Arthur Flour, Mary Berry and Nathan Outlaw’s Home Kitchen Cookbook
Calories: 945kcal | Carbohydrates: 82g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 65g | Saturated Fat: 27g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 171mg | Sodium: 400mg | Potassium: 196mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 42g | Vitamin A: 1317IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 137mg | Iron: 4mg