Atlantic Beach Pie
Creamy, tart and tangy lemon-lime pie!
For the crust:
- 1 ½ cups finely crushed saltine crackers (about 40)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 egg white
For the filling:
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- zest of 2 lemons
- 6 large egg yolks
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice strained of seeds and pulp
- ½ cup fresh lime juice strained
For the topping:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- lemon zest for garnish
- lime zest for garnish
- thin sliced lemons and limes for garnish
To prepare the crust:
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Combine the crackers, butter, sugar and egg white in a medium bowl. Pour the crumbs into a deep 9½ inch pie plate. See NOTES below if you don’t have a deep straight-sided pie plate. Using a measuring cup press the mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the pan.½
Freeze the crust for 15 minutes then bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. If the crust slumps down into the pie plate use the back of a large spoon and press it back into place. Cool completely before filling.
Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.
To prepare the filling:
In a small food processor combine 2 tablespoons granulated sugar with the lemon zest. Process until the sugar is bright yellow and the zest is broken down into tiny pieces.
Pour the lemon sugar into a large mixing bowl. Add the egg yolks and beat using an electric mixer until the yolks are thickened and lighter in color.
Next add the lime zest, sweetened condensed milk and the lemon and lime juices. Blend on low until all ingredients are combined. Place the baked crust on a rimmed baking sheet. Pour the filling into the prepared crust.
Bake the pie at 325°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until the center jiggles slightly and the edges are set. The pie filling should not be browned. Transfer to a rack and cool to room temperature, about 2 hours. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate or freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
To prepare the whipped topping:
In a large cold mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat the cream on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat on high until firm (not dry) peaks form. Dollop the whipped cream on top of the pie and swirl decoratively. Garnish with zest and lemon and lime slices.
If you don’t have a mini-food processor:
- If all the filling doesn’t fit your pie pan, bake leftovers in a lightly greased small oven-proof dish or ramekin.
- You can also make this pie in an 8 or 9-inch springform pan. Press the crust about 1 to 1-1/2 inches up the sides of the pan, freeze and bake according to directions.
- Another option is to use 2 pre-made store-bought graham cracker crusts and divide the filling evenly between the two. Reduce the baking time to 15 minutes. The pie will be thin like a traditional Key Lime Pie.
Chilling and/or freezing
- Place the sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl. Crush the mixture using a fork or spoon, pressing the zest up against the side of the bowl. You can also do this using your fingers. The idea is to release the lemon oils into the sugar until it becomes yellow in color and moistened. You can also skip processing the lemon sugar and simply add the lemon zest and sugar to the eggs and beat.
- This pie is best made a day ahead so it has time to chill properly.
- Once cooled, you can also freeze the pie then wrap in plastic wrap and foil to seal. The pie can be made ahead and frozen for up to 2 months. Move the pie to the refrigerator 4 to 5 hours before serving.
- To slice a slightly frozen pie wrap a warm, damp kitchen towel around the bottom and sides of the pie plate to release the crust. Run a large thin knife under hot water, then carefully dry. Slice and serve topped with sweetened whipped cream.
Calories: 328kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 210mg | Sodium: 160mg | Potassium: 101mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 904IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 1mg