Strawberry Bread Recipe
A tender, moist and delicious quick bread packed with strawberry flavor. Drizzle with a delicious lemony strawberry icing, so good!
- 2 cups fresh strawberries diced (about 12oz)
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour divided (284g)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar (222g)
- 1 cup whole milk (8oz)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (2oz)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly (2oz)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs room temperature
For the icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar (115g)
- 2 large ripe strawberries smashed and strained of seeds
- juice of ½ a lemon
- additional sliced strawberries for topping
To prepare the bread:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease or spray a 9-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
Place the diced strawberries in a small bowl. Gently toss with two tablespoons of the measured all-purpose flour.
In a large mixing bowl whisk together all remaining flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Make a well in the center and set aside.
In a small mixing bowl combine the milk, oil, melted butter, vanilla and eggs. Whisk until blended. Pour the milk mixture into the flour and fold together with a spatula just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold in the diced strawberries and any remaining flour in the bowl. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until light golden brown and a toothpick comes out with no wet batter. Cool in the pan for 30 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
To prepare the icing:
In a small bowl smash a few ripe strawberries to make a puree. Press the strawberries through a fine mesh sieve. Discard the seeds. Add the powdered sugar and lemon juice to the puree and blend until smooth. Add more lemon juice or powdered sugar as needed for a thick pourable icing.
Drizzle the icing over the cooled strawberry bread. Top with a few strawberries then slice and serve.
- If you don’t plan to use the strawberry icing, sprinkle coarse sugar over the unbaked bread for a nice crusty top.
- You can also top the unbaked bread with thin sliced strawberries for extra visual appeal.
- A simple dusting of powdered sugar on top is also pretty.
Calories: 364kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 275mg | Potassium: 128mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 231IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 2mg