Pumpkin Butter Cinnamon Buns
Swirled with pumpkin butter and topped with a pumpkin pie spiced cream cheese icing and a few chopped pecans. The perfect weekend baking project!
For the dough:
- 1 ¼ cups lukewarm water about 90 degrees on an instant read thermometer (10oz)
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour (460) plus a few extra tablespoons if needed
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast, instant or rapid rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 1 cup pumpkin butter store-bought or homemade
For the icing:
- 1 ounce cream cheese room temperature
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar (115g)
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (see DIY recipe below in Notes)
- 2 tablespoons milk or heavy whipping cream plus more if needed
To prepare the dough:
Pour the water into a mixing bowl for a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and set aside for 5-10 minutes or until dissolved (If using instant yeast you don't need to dissolve first.) Add all remaining dough ingredients and mix on low until combined. Increase the speed to medium-low and knead until the dough is soft and smooth. If the dough is sticky add flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it cleans the sides of the bowl (but not the bottom). Don't add more than 3 or 4 tablespoons additional flour. The dough should be slightly sticky.
Cover the dough with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place free from drafts, for 1 hour or until puffy.
Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin pan and set aside.
To assemble the buns:
Gently scoop the dough out onto on a clean, lightly floured work surface. Roll the dough into a 16x18 inch rectangle making sure the dough is an even thickness with the short sides (16”) at the top and bottom.
Spread the pumpkin butter evenly over the dough leaving a 1-inch wide border at the bottom. Starting at the top (farthest away), roll the dough tightly, coming towards you. As you roll, stretch the dough away from you then roll again tightly, repeating until the entire log is rolled. By stretching the dough and rolling tightly, you will achieve the pretty swirled cork-screw top.
Slice the log into 12 equal pieces using a sharp knife or dental floss.
Lightly push the bottom of the bun up in the middle to start the spiral. Place the buns in the muffin tins (cut side up). Once the pan is full, move to a warm place and let rise for 60 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake the buns for 22-26 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan while preparing the icing.
DIY - Pumpkin Pie Spice (makes 2 teaspoons):
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans if desired.
- If preferred, bake the buns in a 13x9-inch baking pan or two 9-inch round cake pans.
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Yeast bun recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour
Calories: 243kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 336mg | Potassium: 142mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 1434IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 2mg