Peach Muffins with Crumble Topping
Fresh diced peaches are packed into these sweet crumble topped muffins with hints of cinnamon
For the muffin batter:
- 2 cups peeled and diced peaches
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (156g)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup granulated sugar (110g)
- ½ cup sour cream (4oz)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly (57g)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
For the crumble topping:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted (57g)
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour (100g)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (74g)
- 1 tablespoon peach juice reserved from above
For the almond icing:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (56g)
- 2 teaspoons milk or cream
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
To prepare the muffin batter:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease 10 muffin cups or cupcake liners with vegetable cooking spray. Set aside.
Peel and dice the peaches and set aside in a bowl.
In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Make a well in the center.
In a small mixing bowl combine the sour cream, melted butter, vanilla, almond extract and egg. Mix together with a spatula until blended. Pour the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture. Fold together with the spatula until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Remove 1 tablespoon of juice from the peaches and set aside for the crumble topping.
Gently fold in 3/4 of the peaches and any remaining juice. Using a large ice cream scoop divide the batter between the 10 muffin wells or paper liners. Top with the remaining diced peaches. Allow the unbaked muffins to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes while preparing the crumble topping.
To prepare the crumble topping:
Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Add the flour, cinnamon, sugar and reserved peach juice. Mix with a fork to combine. Sprinkle the topping (leaving some pieces in larger clumps) evenly on top of the unbaked muffins. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool muffins in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
If using, whisk together the almond icing ingredients and drizzle over muffins. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered as an estimate. When multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Garnishes and optional ingredients are not included.
- These muffins are best served the day they’re made but keep well for up to two days in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Refrigerate leftovers for longer storage
Calories: 303kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0.4g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 141mg | Potassium: 91mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 26g | Vitamin A: 478IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 1mg