Peanut Butter Banana Bread
Soft and moist banana bread with great peanutty flavor and a sweet peanut butter glaze.
Servings: 10 slices
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (252g)
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- ⅓ cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (80g)
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter (132g)
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup granulated sugar (110g)
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed (112g)
- 1 ½ cups mashed ripe bananas (3 large bananas)
- 2 tablespoons dry-roasted peanuts chopped (20g) optional
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar (80g) plus more if needed
- 2 tablespoons milk (36g)
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (36g)
- 2 tablespoons dry-roasted peanuts chopped for garnish (20g)
For the Banana Bread:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 1½ pound loaf pan (9x5-inches) with vegetable cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice. Set aside.
In a small bowl combine the melted butter, sour cream and peanut butter. Whisk to combine then add the eggs, vanilla, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Whisk until smooth and no chunks of brown sugar remain.
Mash the bananas on a large plate until no large chunks remain. Add the mashed bananas and sour cream sugar mixture to the flour and spices. Fold together with a spatula until combined. Gently fold in the chopped peanuts. Don't over-mix! Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 350°F for 60 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with no wet batter. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan and continue to cool.
To prepare the glaze:
Whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and peanut butter in a 2 cup measuring cup with a spout. Add a additional tablespoon or two of powdered sugar as needed to reach the desired consistency. Pour the glaze over the slightly warm or cool banana bread. Immediately sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Allow the bread to rest for a few minutes then enjoy.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. When multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Garnishes and optional ingredients are not included.
- Store leftovers at room temperature for up to 1 day or refrigerate for longer storage.
- Optional: Add 1 cup of mini chocolate chips to the batter. Spread the batter in the pan then top with an additional 1/4 cup mini chips before baking.
- You can also sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top of the peanut butter glaze if desired.
- This banana bread is terrific served slightly warm with the glaze. However it is still delicious served cold. You can wait to add the glaze until ready to serve if desired.
- Use regular peanut butter brands like Peter Pan, Jif or Skippy.
Calories: 423kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 305mg | Potassium: 308mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 262IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 2mg