Easy English Pea Salad
A wonderfully easy, hearty side dish loaded with hard cooked eggs, a little bacon, (because everything's better with bacon) minced red onion, and cheddar cheese all blended together with a creamy dressing.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons apple-cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulates sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper plus more for garnish if desired
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce more or less to taste (like Cholula)
- 2 13-ounce bags of frozen peas, thawed overnight in the refrigerator
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs chopped (reserve a few slices for garnish if desired)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese cut in 1/4” cubes or shredded
- 4-6 slices bacon cooked and diced
In a 2-cup measuring cup combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, onion, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Stir until well blended.
In a large mixing bowl using a rubber spatula, gently combine the peas, hard-boiled eggs and cheese. Pour the dressing over the top of the peas and fold together just until well blended.
Refrigerate the salad for 8 hours or overnight. When ready to serve, gently stir the salad and add the chopped bacon. Garnish with additional chopped bacon, cheese and/or sliced eggs if desired. Best served at room temperature.
Optional: Use a flavored bacon such as black pepper or maple for extra zing
I like the Birds' Eye brand of frozen Sweet Garden Peas
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
It is possible that there is bacteria on the frozen peas. If you are concerned, please blanch the peas by dropping them in boiling water and cook / stir for 2-4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain and cool before adding to the salad.