Honey BBQ Sauce
Great as a marinade, or for basting and slathering on grilled chicken, pork or beef.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large shallot, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, more or less to taste
- 1 (6-oz) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Heat vegetable oil in a deep medium saucepan, over medium heat until shimmering. Add the chopped shallot to the hot oil and sauté for about 5 minutes or until slightly soft. Add the crush red pepper and sauté for another minute. Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently (uncovered) for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
Check the seasoning and add more salt if needed.
I used Korean-Style Red Pepper (Gochugaru) seasoning in place of the crushed red pepper. Feel free to use your favorite hot pepper seasoning like cayenne if desired.
Sauce will keep for up to a week in a sealed jar in the refrigerator.
Use as a marinade and/or slather on grilled meats