Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup
A thick, creamy, delicious, flavorful soup with carrots, broccoli and sharp cheddar cheese
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and julienned
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pint half & half, or substitute milk or 1 cup milk and 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock or broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chopped broccoli, florets and peeled sliced stems
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Parmesan Cheese, grated for garnish is desired
- 1 green onion, sliced thin for garnish
- Bread bowls for serving if desired
In a large dutch-oven or soup pot, add the butter and olive oil and heat on medium until melted. Add the diced onion and carrots. Sauté until just tender and add the minced garlic. Sauté for another 30 seconds or until the garlic is fragrant.
Add the salt and pepper and sprinkle the flour over the cooked vegetables. Cook and stir for a few minutes scraping the bottom of the pan. Add the half & half all at once and stir constantly until the mixture starts to thicken, about 5 minutes. Add the cayenne and dry mustard, stir to combine and remove from the heat.
In a medium saucepan add the vegetable stock and 1 bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Do not drain. Remove the bay leaf and add the broccoli and stock to the vegetables and half & half.
Cover and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the carrots are tender. Remove from the heat and add the grated cheddar cheese. Stir until melted and heated through.
Ladle into soup bowls or bread bowls and garnish with additional grated cheddar or Parmesan cheese and sliced green onions if desired.