Roasted Garlic White Bean Dip
Creamy white beans combined with oven roasted garlic for a hummus like dip that is great served with vegetables, bread, crackers and chips. Use as a flavorful stand-in for mayonnaise on your favorite sandwich.
Servings: 2 cup
- 1 small bulb of garlic, 1/4 of top removed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- thyme sprigs
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, about 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
To roast the garlic, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the top off the garlic bulb leaving the cloves intact. Place on a small piece of foil and drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil allowing it to soak down into the garlic cloves. Add fresh thyme leaves to the foil and pull the foil up over the top and seal to make a packet. Place in a small oven-proof dish and bake for about 45 minutes or until the garlic is soft and fragrant. The cloves will start to pop out of the skins when done.
Squeeze the roasted garlic into the bowl of a food processor. Add the beans, 3 tablespoons olive oil, the lemon juice, salt, pepper, thyme leaves, parsley and red pepper flakes. Pulse until smooth.
Serve topped with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.