Easy to make Zucchini Bread that's tender, moist and packed with flavor. Add your favorite nuts, raisins, cranberries or chocolate chips.
- ¾ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled (12T or 6oz)
- 3 cups grated zucchini (do not peel) about 1 to 1-1/4 pounds
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (378g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar (222g)
- ½ cup brown sugar firmly packed (90g)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest (optional)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (2oz)
- 1 cup chopped nuts (4oz or 113g)
- 1 cup raisins, cranberries or mini chocolate chips (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 8 ½-inch loaf pans with vegetable cooking spray. Set aside.
Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
Shred the zucchini on a large box grater. Transfer to a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl to drain while preparing the other ingredients. (See NOTES for tips)
In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl whisk together the granulated and brown sugars, eggs, vanilla and zest if using. Whisk in the melted butter and vegetable oil until smooth. Add the flour mixture and fold together using a spatula until no dry pockets remain. Gently fold in the zucchini and nuts just until blended.
Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans. Sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar for a crispy crust. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out with no wet batter. Moist crumbs are okay.
Cool for 30 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before storing.
Nutritional information is estimated and may vary depending on products used.
TIPS for preparing zucchini:
- Zucchini bread can be eaten slightly warm but may crumble a little more than a cooled loaf. Slice with a serrated knife for best results.
- Pecans and walnuts are both great in this quick bread.
- For this recipe you can use any combination of butter and vegetable oil to measure 1 cup. Or use all butter or all vegetable oil. We prefer the recipe as written.
- Add 1 cup of raisins, dried cranberries or chocolate chips to the batter with the nuts, if desired. Golden raisins are a favorite.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. When multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Garnishes and optional ingredients are not included.
- For large seedy zucchini, cut in half and scoop out the seeds before shredding.
- Don't peel the zucchini before shredding.
- Some zucchini are drier than others. Always drain the zucchini but if it’s dry you may not have any liquid extracted. This is okay.
- Do not press the zucchini to extract moisture. You’ll want it to be a little moist.
- Take care not to over-pack the zucchini in the measuring cup.
Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 258mg | Potassium: 143mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 359IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 2mg