Mom's Party Cheese Ball
a deliciously easy cheesball that keeps well and easily made ahead
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (8-ounce) package sharp or intense (white)cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic (or garlic salt)
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 (8-ounce) package medium cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8-ounce) package mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup toasted, chopped nuts for rolling
Combine the cream cheese and 8-ounces of the cheddar cheese in the bowl of a food processor, or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the Worcestershire Sauce, garlic, cayenne and mayonnaise. Process until well blended. Add another 8-ounces of the cheddar cheese and process again until mixed well. Remove the cheese mixture to a large bowl and add the remaining 8-ounces of shredded cheddar. Blend using a wooden spoon until combined. Divide the cheese ball in half and wrap each in a large sheet of plastic wrap. Twist the extra plastic wrap together at the top, forming the cheese into a ball. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
When ready to serve, roll the cheese ball in chopped toasted pecans, sliced almonds, chopped parsley, or chili powder.
Cheese balls can be made up to two days in advance. Roll in toasted nuts just before serving.
Cheese balls may be rolled in toasted nuts, chili powder or chopped parsley.
Allow the chilled cheese ball to come to room temperature (about 1 hour) before serving.
Serving Suggestions: Crackers, pickles, olives, grapes, toasted nuts, candied nuts, toasted baguette slices, pickled peppers, or dried fruit