Spicy Basil Chicken
Tender chunks of chicken sautéed in a well spiced sauce with plenty of fresh garlic, basil and minced shallots
Servings: 4 people
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar, optional
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- Sliced green onions for garnish
- Jasmine rice for serving
In a small bowl combine the fish sauce, sugar, honey soy sauce, chili sauce, water, cornstarch and salt. Whisk until blended, set aside.
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sauté the shallots and garlic for about 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the chicken and cook about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until done.
Add the fish sauce mixture to the pan and cook until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Stir to coat the chicken and remove from the heat. Add the basil leaves and stir to combine. Serve with rice and garnish with sliced green onions.
Six chicken thighs are a great substitute for the 3 chicken breasts.
Chili Garlic Sauce can be found in the Asian section of your local grocery store.