Hot Spiced Apple Cider Recipe
Well spiced apple cider is great served warm or cold. Make ahead and reheat when needed. Terrific with a splash of rum or bourbon
- 2 quarts apple cider not apple juice (64 ounces)
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed (110g)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- ½ teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 orange sliced
- 1 lemon sliced
- handful whole cranberries fresh or frozen
- dark rum or bourbon 1 ounce per mug
- orange wedges for serving
- cinnamon sticks for serving
- cranberries for serving
- cinnamon sugar mixture to rim mugs
Put the cider in a slow cooker, crock pot or large saucepan and warm over medium heat. Add all the ingredients through the 1/2 cup whole cranberries. Cook, stirring occasionally, until all the sugar is dissolved and the cider is hot and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, keep warm until ready to serve.
Strain and remove the spices before serving. Add 1-ounce of dark rum or bourbon to each mug of cider, if desired. Garnish each mug with a cinnamon stick and orange wedges.
All the spices can be combined in a tea ball, or tied up in a layer of cheesecloth. Steep the spices in the apple cider for 30 minutes. Remove the spices before serving.
For a cinnamon sugar garnish, wet the rim of the mug with an orange wedge. Dip the rim into a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Fill with cider and garnish with cinnamon stick, orange wedge, and a few cranberries. Serve