Chicken Noodle Soup
Healing, hearty, warming and delicious homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil unsalted butter or fat skimmed from homemade broth
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 medium carrots chopped
- 3 ribs celery chopped
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 10 cups chicken broth homemade or low sodium
- 2 bay leaves
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme optional
- 6 ounces dry egg noodles
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- ¼ cup parsley leaves chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of ½ lemon optional
Warm the olive oil (butter or skimmed chicken fat) over medium-high heat in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Add the onion, carrots and celery to the hot oil. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sauté the vegetables until crisp tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Pour in the broth, add the bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil. Add the egg noodles and reduce the heat to medium. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 7 minutes (per package directions) until the noodles are about al dente, or just slightly undercooked.
Add the chicken and heat, uncovered, until the soup is warmed through. Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs and discard. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat, add the parsley and lemon juice, if using. Serve.
Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary depending on the products used in the recipe.
- Egg noddles will soften over time. If preferred, cook the noodles separately and add to each bowl of broth individually. If using this method, cook the noodles completely, per package directions.
- Fresh or frozen egg noodles can be substituted for dry. Adjust cooking time as needed.
- Rewarm leftovers gently until heated through.
- We do not recommend freezing this soup with the noodles in the broth. The chicken broth and vegetables freeze very well, however.
Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 131mg | Potassium: 460mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3224IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 2mg