Frozen Strawberry Crunch Cake
This no-bake easy summer show-stopper tastes even better than the Strawberry Shortcake Bars of our childhood!
For the crust:
- 20 golden cream-filled sandwich cookies we like golden Oreos
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ⅔ cup strawberry all-fruit spread (about 5 ounces)
For the strawberry crunch mixture:
- 20 golden cream-filled sandwich cookies
- 1 ¼ cups freeze-dried strawberries (about 3/4 oz)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
For the ice cream layers:
- 6 cups vanilla ice cream thawed in the refrigerator, divided
- 3 cups strawberry ice cream thawed in the refrigerator
For the optional garnish:
- lightly sweet whipped cream
- fresh strawberries
Line the base of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Attach the sides of the pan, lock and secure. Trim the excess parchment paper and discard. Lightly spray the parchment and sides of the pan with vegetable cooking spray. Set aside.
Place the vanilla ice cream in the refrigerator to soften while preparing the crust.
To prepare the crust:
Break 20 cookies into pieces as you add them to a food processor. Pulse the processor until the cookies are reduced to fine crumbs. Add the melted butter and continue to pulse until the mixture resembles wet sand.
Pour the cookie crumbs into the prepared pan. Don’t wash the food processor yet as you’ll use it again in a minute. Press the crumbs firmly into the bottom and about 1/2-inch up the sides of the pan using the bottom of a measuring cup. Place the crust in the freezer for 15 minutes.
Remove the pan from the freezer and spread the all-fruit evenly on the bottom. Return the pan to the freezer until set, about 15 minutes.
To prepare the strawberry crunch mixture:
While the crust is in the freezer prepare the strawberry crunch mixture. Break the remaining 20 cookies into pieces while adding to the food processor. Pour the freeze-dried strawberries on top and process until only small chunks remain. Add the melted butter and pulse again until blended. Transfer the crunch mixture to a bowl and set aside until needed. This can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 1 day. If refrigerated, break the mixture apart with a fork before adding to the layers.
To prepare the ice cream layers:
Once the crust is frozen spread 3 cups of softened vanilla ice cream evenly over the all fruit spread. Sprinkle 3/4 cup of the strawberry crunch mixture over the ice cream and gently press to adhere. Place the pan in the freezer for 30 minutes or until set before adding the next layer.
Next spread the softened strawberry ice cream over the strawberry crunch layer. Use a small off-set spatula to smooth the ice cream. Sprinkle another 3/4 cup strawberry crunch mixture over the strawberry ice cream. Gently press down to adhere then freeze for 30 minutes.
For the final layer spread the remaining 3 cups of vanilla ice cream and then all remaining strawberry crunch mixture. Seal the pan with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
Adapted from a recipe by Valerie Bertinelli on Food Network
Nutritional information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered as an estimate. When multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Garnishes and optional ingredients are not included.
- The time it takes to soften the ice cream varies depending on the quality of the ice cream. Better quality ice cream take a bit longer to soften than airy and fluffy less expensive brands.
- For this recipe we recommend purchasing a good quality ice cream like Häagen-Dazs. Better ice creams hold together longer and don’t melt as easily once the finished cake is sliced.
- We don’t recommend slicing this cake outdoors in the summer months. Serve in bowls if it’s warm outside.
- Substitute freeze-dried raspberries for the strawberries if desired. Use raspberry All Fruit Spread.
- Scoop the required amount of ice cream into a container before thawing in the refrigerator to prevent unnecessary melting of ice cream you don’t need.
Calories: 667kcal | Carbohydrates: 99g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0.3g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 274mg | Potassium: 682mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 61g | Vitamin A: 670IU | Vitamin C: 365mg | Calcium: 172mg | Iron: 8mg