This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Beet, Avocado and Pea Salad -Served with sliced avocado and green peas this is a filling and delicious meatless Monday meal. We love the bite of the onions, the creaminess of the avocado and the fresh taste of the peas and pea shoots.
I received my new cookbook written by Yotam Ottolenghi titled Plenty More, Vibrant Vegetable Cooking From London’s Ottolenghi. As with his previous cookbooks once you start reading it’s hard to put it down. The recipes are inspired, the photography is amazing and the food is breathtaking. Over the past week I’ve read myself to sleep each night trying to decide which recipe to make first. This recipe won the toss mostly because I still had a few beets in the garden that needed to be harvested, and this salad is made with pea shoots. Pea shoots are a fascinating garden plant often used in salads and very popular in Britain. I wasn’t sure I could find them in Virginia but the farmer’s market didn’t let me down! There was a vendor selling micro-greens and pea shoots – all organic. Packed with Vitamins A, C, folic acid, and very low in calories, pea shoots taste very fresh and green, with a distinct green pea flavor.
This is a photo from our garden earlier in the summer. The beets were doing well and produced until I pulled them all up yesterday.
With the temperatures dipping into the 40’s, I thought these had probably grown as big as they will get.
Pea shoots are very tender and light but have lots of flavor.
This salad is actually loaded with flavor from the cilantro, mint, avocado and red onion.
The red onions are marinated in a mixture of olive oil, sherry vinegar, salt, pepper, super fine sugar and hot sauce.
The beets are sliced paper thin then blanched in boiling water for just a few minutes.
The beets are then added to the vinegar mixture and set aside while preparing the greens and herbs.
Served with sliced avocado and green peas this is a filling and delicious meatless Monday meal. I loved the bite of the onions, the creaminess of the avocado and the fresh taste of the peas and pea shoots. This is a wonderful and deliciously interesting salad.
A lovely fresh salad with great flavor!
- 4 small or 2 medium beets, peeled and sliced paper-thin
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons Cholula Hot Sauce
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced thin
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- a few mint leaves
- 1/3 cup pea shoots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, blanched quickly and rinsed in cold water
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl combine the olive oil, sherry vinegar, hot sauce, salt, pepper and sugar. Add the sliced onions and toss to coat. Set aside while preparing the beets.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the beets and blanch for 3 to 5 minutes or until semi-cooked. Drain and rinse under cold water. Pat dry and add to the marinating onions. The onions should marinate for at least 15 minutes overall - but 30 minutes is better.
- To serve spread half the beet mixture on a large plate or platter. Top with the avocado, cilantro, mint, pea shoots and peas. Add the remaining beet mixture on top. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and serve.
Adapted from a recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi, published in Plenty More, Vibrant Vegetable Cooking from London's Ottolenghi
I stopped in the post office the other day and found they offered Celebrity Chef forever stamps. Maybe Ottolenghi will have his face on a stamp one day! Isn’t that so cool! I can’t wait to try another recipe. Happy Monday! Thanks so much for stopping by and have a great week.