This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Butternut Cashew Chili ~ A delicious heart healthy, meatless chili with butternut squash and cashew nuts.
I know … what self-respecting man is going to want meatless chili on Super Bowl Sunday? You may know someone that would throw a flag on this game plan – but hear me out. This chili delivers on the flavor and the cashews give you a first down on the texture. Alright – enough with the football references. I’m just cheering (oops) on our meatless Monday meals and this one would be great for a meatless Sunday! My husband, who has always loved meat and chili, drafted this recipe to be a first round pick in our recipe book. It tastes likes chili but also packs so much hearty, healthy goodness, you may never bench this recipe!
You can substitute chicken or beef for the butternut squash and cashews – and I’m very sure it will turn out great.
This chili packs a big flavor punch with plenty of spice.
The broth may look a little thinner than meaty chili, but it’s not like a water based soup.
Chop up a few peppers (green, yellow, or red) two onions, a couple of stocks of celery and about 2 cups of butternut squash.
Add red kidney beans, black beans, canned tomatoes, cilantro and some cashews and simmer just until the squash is tender.
Garnish with avocado, fresh cilantro or a good dollop of sour cream and grated cheese. Hearty healthy and delicious – score!
Don’t forget to PIN to your favorite soup and chili board!
Butternut Cashew Chili
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 green yellow or red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cups diced butternut squash about half a 3 pound squash
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce (no salt added)
- 4 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes (no salt added) do not drain
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 heaping cup whole unsalted roasted cashew nuts (plus more for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a heavy bottom large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the butternut squash and saute for 4-5 minutes, then add the onions, peppers, garlic and celery. Stir and cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the vegetables are starting to soften.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the vegetables and all the spices. Stir and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the tomato sauce and canned tomatoes to the vegetables and reduce the heat to medium.
- Simmer gently for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans, cashews, chopped cilantro and red wine vinegar. Cover, with the lid tilted to vent and gently simmer stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro, cashews, avocado, sour cream or cheese to taste.
I know we would really enjoy some deliciously cheesy dip and gooey appetizers – but we save room for the splurges when we can. Eating right doesn’t mean you have to give up flavor for calories – this chili proves it – wanna see an instant replay? Hope you favorite teams wins and thanks so much for stopping by!