Light and buttery, flaky and soft, these are absolutely wonderful treats. It was love at first bite for me and I feel certain these will make any mom swoon over brunch. This Buttery Apricot Scone Recipe is so easy to make – even non-bakers can make this happen. Remember those flaky canned biscuits? These come apart in soft, lightly sweet layers just like the old canned biscuits, but taste so much better!
Whisk together the flour and baking powder. In a 2 cup measure combine the granulated sugar, milk and salt, stir to dissolve. Cut in ice cold butter until pea-size pieces form then add the milk. Stir with a fork until the dough comes together.
Roll the dough out on a lightly floured work surface and spread on 2 tablespoons softened butter. Sprinkle chopped dried apricots evenly over the dough. Fold the dough like an envelope, in thirds.
Fold the dough in half crosswise, press together and gently flatten into an 8×4″ rectangle.
Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces and bake!
I love they way they puffed up and the layers came apart. More room for icing to get in the nooks and crannies 🙂
Brush the fresh baked scones with butter or drizzle with a simple icing flavored with almond extract.
Layers and layers of sweet apricots and buttery goodness! This is a wonderful splurge and totally worth all the broccoli and salads I ate all week!
I hope you’ll make these part of your mother’s day celebration. Don’t forget our terrific Crustless Asparagus Cheese Pie to round out a wonderful brunch.
- 1 cup cold whole milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup diced dried apricots, about 1/4 pound
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon warm water, more or less as needed for desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a two cup measure combine the milk, sugar, and salt. Whisk until dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder. Cut 10 tablespoons of the cold butter into 1/2" pieces. Add the butter to the flour mixture and blend using a pastry cutter until pea size pieces remain. Add the milk and stir with a fork until the dough starts to come together.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface and gently roll the dough out into a 14x8" rectangle. Soften the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave and using your fingers, spread the butter evenly over the surface of the dough. Sprinkle the chopped apricots over the dough and gently press so they stick.
- With the long side of the dough facing you, fold the top 1/3 of the dough over the center. Fold the remaining 1/3 over the top portion, like folding a letter.
- Fold the dough in half, then using the rolling pin, gently flatten to an 8x4" rectangle.
- Cut the dough in half lengthwise, and then into quarters crosswise to make 8 even squares.
- Bake on the parchment lined baking sheet for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to a rack to cool slightly before icing.
- To prepare the glaze combine the confectioners sugar, almond extract and water in a small mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle over scones and serve.
Recipe adapted from Epicurious
For all you moms out there – have a wonderful Mother’s Day – whether it’s with your mom, or your children, or that special woman in your life. Being a mom has to be the best job in the whole world. Thanks so much for stopping by!