This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Coconut Key Lime Meltaways – a light and buttery bite-sized cookie with a big tropical flavor.
What a terrific flavor combination in one sweet little bite! There cookies are called meltaways for good reason. They truly melt in your mouth and are dangerously easy to pop in there, one after another. The delicious cookie dough is tender with a shortbread-like texture. The cookie flavor is buttery with a zing from the key lime zest and juice, and a hint of coconut from the extract and shredded coconut on top. While the cookie dough is not very sweet, it takes on the simple icing and shredded sweetened coconut perfectly.
We use fresh Key Limes for this recipe but if you can’t get find them in your stores, the cookies will still be great made with regular limes. Don’t skip the extra zest on top however! Every component from the zest to the coconut works together to give you the full meltaway tropical experience!
These cookies are very easy to make and store well once the icing dries. You may not need to worry about storing them for long however, as these Coconut Key Lime Meltaways are addicting!
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be baking friends! If you try our recipe please leave a comment, and photo if you have one, on Pinterest. If you share on INSTAGRAM use the hashtag #savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. And we’d be so happy if you would FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates.
PRINT THE RECIPE!
Coconut Key Lime Meltaways
For the cookie dough:
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon key lime zest, packed
- 2 tablespoons fresh key lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar (more or less for desired consistency)
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 tablespoons fresh key lime juice (more or less as needed)
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut for garnish
- 1 teaspoon key lime zest for garnish
To make the cookie dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy. Add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl and blend again until incorporated.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lime zest, 2 tablespoons lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract. Gently mix on low until incorporated, scraping down sides with a spatula as needed.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch and salt. Add the flour mixture in four batches to the creamed butter and lime mixture. Blend on medium-low until each addition is incorporated. Scrape the dough into a ball, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To bake the cookies, preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop a level spoonful of dough using a 1-inch cookie scoop. Roll each into a tight ball and place two inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Press each dough ball gently with the flat bottom of a small glass or measuring cup to the desired thickness. Bake for 13 minutes at 350F or until lightly browned around the edges. Slide the parchment paper onto a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat with a new piece of parchment paper placed on a cooled cookie sheet. Cool cookies completely if planning to top with icing. Alternatively, you can also toss the warm cookies in powdered sugar instead.
To make the icing:
- Whisk together 1 cup of powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract and the remaining 2 tablespoons fresh key lime juice. Add more lime juice or sugar as needed to reach the desired consistency. Spread the icing on the cooled cookies and immediately top with shredded coconut and lime zest. Allow the icing to fully set then store the cookies in a cool location or refrigerate for longer storage.
Here are a few more of our favorite cookies you might enjoy:
Lemon Meltaways – a light and buttery little bite of sunshine! The perfect cure for when you need a little something sweet.
Lemon Coolers – hot from the oven, these melt-in-your mouth cookies are tossed in a mixture of crystallized lemon and powdered sugar for the most incredible intense lemon flavor ever!
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies with Coconut – this cookie is a shinning star of the dessert tray! Delicious jumbo-sized thick and chewy cookies that rival any from the gourmet bake shop.
I love making cookies on my rimless baking sheet. The parchment paper slides right off onto a cooling rack, with all the cookies on top! Slide the next sheet of loaded parchment onto the pan and bake. No need to wait for the pan to cool. Also really love this new zester:
If you decide to purchase something at Amazon after following my affiliate link, I receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you, which I use to pay for web hosting and services for this blog. Thanks for supporting SRFD!
I love lime and coconut together, and if you do too you’ll want to check out this creative, easy Lime Coconut Buttermilk Pie from Lori at RecipeGirl. My mouth is watering over these lovely Coconut Lime Squares from Sue at The View from Great Island. Think tropical vacation in every bite! And finally, for a savory treat be sure to try this Spicy Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Scampi recipe from Cheryl at TidyMom!
Thanks so much for stopping by! Tricia