This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chewy Coconut-Rum Blondies stuffed with white chocolate chips and toasted macadamia nuts are a simple dessert that can be ready in a flash. Having an impromptu get-together and need just a little something sweet to end a great dinner? Mixed by hand, these blondies are easy to make and are quickly dressed up with a scoop of ice cream. These even hold up well with a little zap in the microwave for a warm dessert with a heavenly aroma.
I shared these treats with our son, daughter-in-law and friends because they’ve had a bunch of visitors lately. Yesterday they welcomed their first baby into the world and we celebrated our first granddaughter. Jayden was 2 1/2 weeks early but mother, father and grandparents are all doing great! Pictures coming soon!
Blondies, brownies and bars are some of the tastiest treats you can make in minutes. These have a distinct rum flavor with a big crunch from the macadamia nuts. None of the flavors take a backseat to one another – they blend remarkably well. We enjoy these little experiments and found the spiced rum an amazing addition to this recipe. I wish I could describe the aroma while these baked – intoxicating comes to mind.
We divided the bars into 16 pieces making them an easy-to-eat two or three bite dessert. Cut the Coconut Rum Blondies a little bigger for a plated dessert, à la mode of course!
Pin to your favorite cookie / bar board!
Coconut Rum Blondies
- ½ cup macadamia nuts
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour plus 1 tablespoon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter browned and cooled slightly
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt the butter while stirring occasionally. Cook the butter until it begins to turn an amber color and have a nutty aroma. Remove the browned butter to a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
- Spread the macadamia nuts on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Transfer the nuts to a cutting board and coarsely chop. Set aside.
- Cut a length of parchment paper to fit a 8x8 inch baking dish allowing the paper to come up to the top of both sides of the pan. Cut another sheet to fit in the opposite direction also trimming at the top of the pan. Spray the parchment lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Whisk together ¾ cup of flour, baking soda and salt together in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl with the browned butter add the brown sugar and stir using a wooden spoon or spatula until blended. Add the egg and mix until it lightens in color and is smooth. Blend in the rum and vanilla and mix just until incorporated. Fold in the dry ingredients just until combined. Do not over-mix.
- Place the white chocolate chips in a small bowl and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Add the chocolate chips (with flour), coconut and macadamia nuts to the batter. Fold in gently. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F until the top is shinny, cracked and light golden brown, about 22-24 minutes. Do not over-bake. Blondies should be chewy, not crunchy.
- Cool the blondies in the pan then lift out using the parchment paper. Transfer to a cutting board and slice into bite sized squares. Enjoy!
Here are a few more blondie recipes you may want to try!
We’re off to the hospital to visit our new little granddaughter. We are feeling truly blessed and grateful today. Hope you have a wonderful week and thanks so much for stopping by!