This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
- 2 cans coconut milk, shaken before opening
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut, see note #1 below
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- dash of salt
- 1 whole vanilla bean, scraped (see note #2 below)
- In a medium saucepan combine the sugar, coconut milk, salt, vanilla bean and shredded coconut. Bring the mixture to a light simmer on medium-low heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Cover the pot with a lid and turn off the heat. Steep the mixture for one hour.
- Place a fine mesh sieve over a clean bowl and strain the mixture removing as much liquid as possible. (See note #1 below) Press the coconut with the back of a metal spoon removing all liquid. Make sure the vanilla bean is scraped clean, then remove it and discard (See note #2 below).
- Cover and refrigerate the sorbet mixture for several hours or overnight. Process according to your ice cream maker instructions. Store in an airtight container and freeze before serving. Allow the sorbet to sit a room temperature about 15 minutes before serving.
Rum Soaked Grilled Pineapple
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark spiced rum
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, halved lengthwise and sliced lengthwise into 12 wedges
- 2 tablespoons coconut, toasted
- Coconut sorbet or low-fat vanilla ice cream to serve with the pineapple slices
- Combine the brown sugar and rum in a microwave safe bowl. Cook on high for one minute. Stir and if the brown sugar is not yet dissolved, cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour the rum mixture over the pineapple slices and set aside. Heat the grill and brush the grates with oil. If you prefer the pineapple can be grilled inside using a panini pan. If using a non-stick pan there is no need to oil the pan. Grill over medium heat until marks form and the pineapple is heated through. Sprinkle with coconut and serve with the sorbet and drizzle with any remaining rum syrup.
2 scoops coconut sorbet
1 small can or bottle of Izze Sparkling Juice
Place the sorbet in a glass and pour the juice over the top. Serve immediate and enjoy.