This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The classic Cuban Sandwich (Cubano) ~ a hearty and delicious combination of sweet ham, juicy tender pork, melted Swiss cheese, dill pickles with a nice bite from a slathering of yellow mustard.
Apparently, the original Cuban sandwich was invented in a Key West cafe, popular with the local Cuban workers. That first Cubano sandwich was made with salami, but later ham became the standard.
It’s hard to resist this cheesy, meaty, flavorful sandwich.
You probably knew this amazing sandwich would be the next after posting the wonderful, flavorful Grilled Cuban Mojo-Marinated Pork Tenderloin last week. The lime, citrus and garlic marinade adds incredible flavor to the pork, and this sandwich. This hearty sandwich is loaded with meat and cheesy goodness; nobody goes away hungry!
The Cuban is a pressed, or grilled sandwich typically made with hard-to-find Cuban bread which is similar to a French or Italian loaf.
First, I used an Italian loaf for this recipe, and trimmed off the top and bottom crusts. The bread is lightly buttered and the sandwich assembled. Next, cook the sandwich in a skillet and sear the bread pressing firmly until the cheese is melted and the bread toasted. To press your sandwich place a heavy skillet (like cast iron) on top of the sandwich while cooking or if you have a panini press, that will work great too!
If you’ve traveled in the Miami area, perhaps you’ve had a great Cuban sandwich served with chips and a cold beer. Sounds like summer perfection to me! However, if you don’t want to go all the way to Miami to enjoy a terrific Cuban sandwich, I’ve got your recipe right here!
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be cooking friends! When you try our recipe please leave a comment on this post. If you loved this recipe we’d appreciate a 5-star rating! Sharing your experience, variations and insights will help all our readers, and it helps me too. If you’re on Pinterest feel free to leave a comment and photo there if you have one. If you share on INSTAGRAM tag @savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. And we’d be very happy if you’d FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates. Thank you!!!
PRINT THE RECIPE!
Cuban Sandwich Recipe
- loaf Italian, French or Cuban bread
- 1 ounce unsalted butter
- 1 ounce yellow mustard
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 6 slices sweet (honey) ham
- 6 slices dill pickles
- 8 slices roasted pork or pork tenderloin
- Remove the crusty top and bottom of half a loaf of Italian bread and cut in half (each piece should be about 6-inches long.) Cut the pieces in half lengthwise, and butter the top and bottom of the bread.
- Generously spread mustard on the inside of each slice then layer 4 slices of Swiss cheese over the mustard. Divide the pickles, ham, and pork on the two sandwiches then top with the remaining Swiss cheese.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add the sandwiches. Reduce the heat slightly and cook until the bottom is lightly browned. Carefully turn the sandwich over and "press" the Cuban using a heavy skillet or other clean heat proof pan. Cook until the cheese is melted and both sides are browned.
- Cut the sandwiches in half diagonally and serve with chips and a cold beer if desired.
I love the occasional sandwich, and especially a meaty one with cheese like this Cuban. It’s a nice splurge that completely satisfies, plus it’s easy to make, too. This Cuban sandwich is good enough to serve at an informal gathering of friends. Each of the components for this sandwich can be prepared a head of time making it great for entertaining.
Check out our favorite panini pan below: (click on the photo for more information)
The small print: If you decide to purchase something at Amazon after following my affiliate link, I receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you, which I use to pay for web hosting and services for this blog.
Finally, there is something about a classic sandwich that keep me coming back for more. These Homemade (Baked) Chick-Fil-A Sandwiches from Barefeet in the Kitchen have been on my list of must-make recipes forever! Another crazy delicious ham & cheese variation is this Monte Cristo Sandwich from She Wears Many Hats. Amy says they make an amazing breakfast sandwich too! Yummy stuff. And I could never resist a big bite of this beautiful Grilled Chicken Cordon Blue Sandwich from The Cookie Rookie.