It’s candy week at our house – let the stirring begin! One of the nice things about making fudge is it happens all in one pot. I’ve been making this for years and each Christmas I worry that I have forgotten how to do it right. I double the recipe (full recipe at the end of this post) but the ingredients are listed as a single batch (3 pounds) as you would find on the back of the Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Cream jar.
Let’s make some fudge!
Santa and Mrs. Claus where on hand to help out – or at least lend moral support.
Assemble the ingredients.
Being ready is the most important aspect of making candy.
You need to have all the ingredients measured, chopped and open before your start.
Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Chopped pecans and vanilla.
Start by melting the margarine in a large pot and add the sugar and Pet milk.
Bring to a boil and stir frequently.
As the butter mixture cooks, it will begin to darken in color and thicken slightly.
I’ve never used a candy thermometer so I rely on the soft ball stage method to test for doneness.
Drizzle a few drops of the butter mixture into a small bowl of cool water.
Squish it together with your finger and if it forms a soft ball, the fudge is ready.
After you reach soft ball stage, quickly stir in the chocolate chips until melted.
Next add the Marshmallow Cream and blend quickly before the fudge begins to harden. This is where muscles are helpful, or a nice husband lurking around to lick the spoon. I’m not saying my husband lurks – I’m just saying it’s amazing how they’re always there to help just when you need them!
Stir quickly, stir some more. And stir again. (Thanks traveling husband for the action shots!)
Don’t give up – keep stirring – you’re getting there!
Now it’s starting to look like fudge.
Add the vanilla …
… and the pecans. Stir again! (I bet you knew that already!)
Pour into a lightly buttered pan. (I used a 13″x9″ pan since I doubled the recipe)
Allow the fudge to cool and cut into whatever size you need.
Milk chocolate at it’s best 🙂
Don’t forget to share – somebody will love you for it.
Easy Fantasy Fudge
A deliciously easy chocolate fudge with pecans - a special treat during the holidays!
- ¾ cup ( 1½ sticks) margarine or butter (I use only Parkay Margarine)
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 5-ounce can (2/3 cup) evaporated milk
- 1 12-ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 7-ounce jar Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Cream
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lightly grease a 9x9 inch pan.
- Mix margarine, sugar and milk in a heavy 3-quart saucepan; bring to a full rolling boil on medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Continue boiling 5 minutes on medium heat or until candy thermometer reaches 234 degrees, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir in chocolate chops until melted.
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan and cool at room temperature.
- When cooled, cut into squares and store in an airtight container
Do not substitute sweetened condensed milk for the evaporated milk.
Good luck and thanks for stopping by! Tricia