This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Try our Easy Mexican Pizza recipe for your next Cinco de Mayo party, when you have a house full of hungry teens, or just because it’s family movie night!
Everybody loves Mexican food and of course pizza too, so it’s a given these easy Mexican Pizzas will be a hit with the whole gang. Layered with refried beans, spicy chicken, onions, shredded cheese and plenty of taco sauce, these double decker pizzas are easily personalized with all your favorite toppings. They’re a little like pizza with plenty of sauce and cheese, and another part quesadilla with toasted tortillas, and they also remind me of loaded nachos. Whatever you call them, they’re delicious and easy to make too!
Here’s what we love about these tasty, crunchable, spicy handheld pizzas:
- These are great for dinner, but also double as hearty appetizers. Cut into quarters with a sharp pizza wheel for nacho style bites.
- Our easy Mexican Pizzas are made with convenience foods like pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, bottled taco sauce, canned refried beans, pre-shredded Mexican cheese blend, and store-bought salsa. Of course you can make your own ingredients, but if looking for shortcuts, this recipe is loaded with them!
- Each Mexican pizza is easily personalized with your favorite toppings. Set the table with bowls of lettuce, tomato, avocado, olives, jalapeños, cilantro, sour cream and lime wedges for squeezing. Everybody can top their own pizza just they way they love it. Go nuts with taco toppings!
- Made with smaller ‘street tacos‘ they’re the perfect size to double decker the deliciousness with plenty of cheese to hold it all together.
- Prep the toppings ahead of time, making these easy to put together at the last minute. Perfect for a weeknight dinner or to feed a houseful of hungry teens.
Bake the street taco sized flour tortillas until crisp before assembling to ensure they’ll stand up to tons of toppings!
Of course this is all customizable. Don’t care for refried beans? Try black beans instead! Does your gang prefer traditional taco meat? Skip the chicken and brown half a pound of ground beef, mixed with the taco seasoning. It’s all good! Finally, corn tortillas are a good substitute for the flour tortillas, or pick up a package of tostada shells too. You get the idea, you can’t mess this up.
Enjoy this saucy, spicy, hearty and easy Mexican Pizza recipe next time you’re craving tacos … and pizza … and well, nachos too! Yum 🙂
Thanks for PINNING!
Let’s be cooking friends! If you make our recipe please feel free to leave a comment on this post. I’m sure your experience and insights will help all our readers, and it helps me too. Also, if you’re on Pinterest feel free to leave a comment and photo there if you have one! If you share on INSTAGRAM tag @savingroomfordessert so we can stop by and give your post some love. And we’d be very happy if you’d FOLLOW Saving Room for Dessert on FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM| PINTEREST | TWITTER and subscribe to our YOUTUBE channel for all the latest recipes, videos and updates. Thank you!!
PRINT THE RECIPE!
- 1 (12-count) package mini-flour tortillas (street tacos)
- 1 (16-ounce) can refried beans
- 1/4 cup salsa, plus extra for serving
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken breast (about 1 large breast)
- 1/2 (1-ounce) package low-sodium taco seasoning mix (2 tablespoons - more or less to taste)
- pico de gallo
- sour cream
- black beans
- sliced olives
- cherry tomatoes, sliced
- sliced or pickled jalapeños
- limes, sliced into wedges
- shredded lettuce
- avocado, diced
- cilantro leaves
- corn tortillas (optional in place of the flour tortillas)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place 6 flour tortillas on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from the oven and stack on a plate; set aside. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Leave the oven on to bake the pizzas.
- Place the refried beans in a small saucepan and add 1/4 cup of salsa. Stir to combine. Warm over medium-low heat while preparing the other ingredients.
- Mix the taco seasoning with 2 tablespoons of water in a medium, microwave safe bowl. Add the shredded chicken and toss to coat. Cover the bowl and microwave until the chicken is heated through, about 2 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Place 6 of the toasted tortillas back on the baking sheet. Top each with about 1/4 cup of refried beans, spreading evenly to the edges of the tortilla. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon of chopped red onion, then 2 tablespoons shredded Mexican cheese blend. Place the remaining 6 toasted tortillas on top of the beans. Divide the taco sauce on top of the tortillas spreading to the edges with a spoon. Divide the seasoned chicken on top of the taco sauce. Sprinkle any remaining onion over the chicken, then top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve with optional toppings as desired.
Substitute black beans for the chicken for a meatless / vegetarian option.
Use corn tortillas in place of the flour tortillas if desired.
Here are a few more easy-peasy Mexican favorites you might like:
Grilled Mexican Street Corn (Elote) – a wonderfully well spiced, delicious, finger licking good summer treat! Click HERE to get the recipe.
This Easy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe is quick, flavorful and satisfying, and I bet you’re going to love it as much as we do. Honestly, I probably spent more time preparing the toppings than I did making the entire casserole. Start to finish it takes about 20 minutes to put it together and cooks up in an amazing 15 minutes. Click HERE to get the recipe.
Thanks so much for stopping by! Tricia