This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
PRINT THE RECIPE!
English Muffin Bread
- 2 cups milk (I’ve tested using whole and 2% – both are great)
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 6 cups bread flour, divided
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Pour the milk and water in a small saucepan. Heat on medium until the mixture reaches 125°F on an instant read thermometer. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Lightly grease two 8×4 inch loaf pans and dust the sides and bottom with the cornmeal. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add 3 cups of the bread flour, the yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda. Using the beater attachment, blend the dry ingredients together. Add the warm milk and mix on low until smooth. Change to the dough hook and add the remaining flour, 1 cup at a time mixing on medium-low until the dough is smooth and pulling away from the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Divide the dough in half and press into the prepared loaf pans. Place the loaves in a warm location and allow it to rise for 45 minutes or until doubled in size. I place my bread dough in the microwave and turn on the underneath task light. The task light warms the inside of the microwave and creates a kind of proofing oven. If you don’t have a similar set up – lightly spray two sheets of plastic wrap with a non-stick cooking spray. Lay the sprayed side of the plastic wrap facing down covering the dough. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow the dough to rise 45 minutes.
- While the dough rises, preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake the risen loaves for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the pans immediately and cool on a wire rack.