This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Everybody loves a Fresh Apple Cake loaded with a generous helping of cinnamon, nuts and apples.
Fresh apple cake has a fantastic moist and tender texture, and a lightly crisp exterior. This heirloom recipe that’s been a family favorite for generations and is a delicious autumn treat!
I feel like I’ve been looking for the perfect Apple Bundt Cake recipe for generations myself. I’ve tried so many recipes over the years that I’ve lost count. I even tried developing my own apple Bundt cake recipe, but with no luck.
I’m thrilled to announce that the search is now over because I’ve finally found the best Fresh Apple Cake recipe ever! Last weekend we took a whirlwind trip to my visit my youngest brother Tom and his beautiful, talented wife Nanon in Columbus Ohio. When we arrived, Tom and Nanon had appetizers ready, dinner in the oven and this fantastic Fresh Apple Cake cooling on the countertop.
The cake already looked delicious, but then she slathered on the silky cream cheese icing making it irresistible.
This apple cake recipe has been passed down for generations.
Nanon got this recipe from her mother, who she lost at a very young age. The cake is simple and absolutely delicious and was an instant favorite with my husband too.
Nanon has been making this cake for years and it’s easy to see why. Using vegetable oil instead of butter makes the cake’s exterior slightly crisp and the interior texture perfectly moist. Don’t even think of skipping the cream cheese icing – it’s so good!
Fresh Apple Cake keeps in the refrigerator for many days, and even travels well too.
Tom and Nanon sent us on our way with the leftover cake, and I can attest that it makes terrific road food. Ever so thoughtful, Nanon even packed some napkins and forks in our little goodie bag. I guess she knows us well!
This cake didn’t stand a chance of making it all the way home. Thank you Nanon for your thoughtfulness, and especially for letting me share this amazing recipe with our readers!
If you have three extra apples looking for a forever home, this is it!
Thanks for PINNING!
Fresh Apple Cake
For the cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 3 cups chopped peeled apples (about 3 medium-large apples)
For the icing:
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream (optional for thinning if needed)
To prepare the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a Bundt pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Add the eggs, oil and vanilla and beat on low with an electric mixer, just until blended. Using a spatula, fold in the nuts and apples.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared Bundt pan and smooth the top. Bake at 350°F for 70 - 90 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out with no wet batter. A few moist crumbs is fine. Baking times may vary depending on the kind of apples used.
- Cool the cake completely before icing.
To prepare the icing:
- In a small mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, butter, powered sugar and vanilla. Beat on low with an electric mixer. Add a little milk to thin, if needed, or more powdered sugar to reach the desired consistency. If you prefer a glaze instead of thick icing, reduce the powdered sugar to 1 cup.
- Adapted from a recipe provided by my sister-in-law, Nanon Morrison
- I used a combination of apples I had on hand. One Granny Smith and two Fuji. I like apples that don't completely melt when cooked, and also prefer something tart.
- I used walnuts in this recipe but feel free to use pecans if you prefer.
Here are a few more apple recipes you might enjoy:
Irish Apple Crumble Cake ~ made with fresh apples, plenty of cinnamon, and a sweet crumble top. This rustic and moist cake is delightful drizzled with our creamy Apple Brandy Sauce!
Apple Cinnamon Scones ~ light and fluffy with a crispy sweet crust, large chunks of apple and delicious cinnamon chips!