This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
German's Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2 (4-ounce) packages of Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a cupcake pan with liners (this recipe made approximately 36 cupcakes but also makes 3 (9-inch) round layers).
- Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a small microwave safe bowl. Add 1/2 cup of water and microwave on high for 1 minutes. Stir and return to cook 30 seconds more, or until the chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool while preparing the batter.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter on medium until smooth and light, about 30 seconds. Add the granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time and blend just until the yolk disappears before adding the next. With the mixer on a low speed, blend in the melted chocolate and vanilla. Add 1/3 of the flour and mix just until incorporated. Add half the buttermilk and blend until it disappears. Repeat adding 1/3 the flour, then the other half of the buttermilk and end with the remaining 1/3 of the flour mixture.
- In a clean small mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate batter with a spatula. Do not beat or over-mix.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 14-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Allow the baked cupcakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 2 cups chopped pecans toasted
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Cherries for garnish if desired
- To toast the pecans, spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 8 minutes. Remove to a bowl to cool while preparing the frosting.
- In a large heavy-bottom saucepan combine the evaporated milk, sugar, butter and egg yolks. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until the butter is melted and the sugar dissolved.
- Keep cooking and stirring for approximately 12 minutes until the mixture bubbles and has turned a light caramel color. The mixture should thicken like warm pudding.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla, pecans and coconut. Pour the frosting into a large clean mixing bowl and allow it to cool for about 45 minutes or until spreading consistency.
- Makes enough frosting to generously cover 36 cupcakes.
The end result? This is a lovely, chocolaty, moist cake with a nutty coconut frosting that’s surprisingly not overly sweet. It was fun to make and bake and even more fun to share. I hope you have a wonderful week and thanks so much for stopping by!