This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A delicious Grilled Chicken Taco Salad with avocado, grilled corn and spicy homemade chips all dressed up with a cool cilantro-lime vinaigrette.
Don’t you love a recipe that you can’t mess up? There’s no wrong way to prepare this salad and there’s plenty of shortcuts too so feel free to adapt to your preferences. The one component you need to try however, is the homemade tortilla strips. I made a my own taco seasoning and sprinkled it on the tortillas and the chicken but you can substitute your favorite package mix. The great thing about homemade seasoning mix is being able to cut down on the salt while bringing up the heat. The taco seasoning can be made ahead and stored in a jar until needed. It’s great on ground beef for tacos or sprinkled on sautéed vegetables too.
Almost any tortilla (homemade, flour or corn) will work great here. I went with a thicker flour tortilla called a Gordita. Cut the tortilla into strips, toss with a little oil and some taco seasoning and bake until crisp.
Don’t scrimp on the seasonings – these little tasty nuggets really make this salad sing!
The bright and tart cilantro-lime vinaigrette tastes amazingly fresh and clean.
In addition to being great drizzled on the salad, the vinaigrette can also be combined with the onions, corn, tomatoes and black beans for a simple salsa. I served our Grilled Chicken Taco Salad over hearty romaine lettuce because it holds up under the substantial toppings. I also love the crunch factor of the lettuce especially when combined with the creamy avocado.
Finally, add your favorite shredded cheese and fresh sliced avocado; the salad is now a complete and satisfying meal.
Substitute shredded rotisserie chicken if you want. However, be sure to sprinkle it with the taco seasoning! For another shortcut, skip grilling the corn and use frozen kernels that have been cooked and cooled.
A delicious deconstructed taco with avocado, grilled corn and spicy homemade chips all dressed up with a cool cilantro-lime vinaigrette
- 2 ears of corn, grilled then removed from the cob
- 1 15- ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 4 flour or corn tortillas, I used thick Gordita styled flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus extra for the corn
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, recipe below
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded cheese, sharp cheddar or your favorite
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced, drizzled with lime juice
- 1/2 cup thin sliced red onions
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime Vinaigrette for serving, recipe below
- Lime wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the tortilla strips, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon taco seasoning. Toss to coat. Spread the strips in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 5-10 minutes until crips and lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat gas grill on high. Clean the grill grates then using long tongs, grease the grate with a paper towel soaked with vegetable oil.
- Drizzle the chicken breasts with 1 tablespoon oil, then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning. Grill until the juices run clear and the chicken is done through. Slice and set aside.
- Lightly oil the fresh corn and grill until lightly charred. Cut the kernels from the cob and set aside.
- To assemble the salad, layer the lettuce, onion, black beans, corn, sliced chicken, sliced avocado, black beans, tomatoes, and cheese. Add salt and fresh ground black pepper and a squeeze of lime on the avocado. Drizzle with the cilantro-lime vinaigrette and toss with the homemade tortilla strips. Serve garnished with cilantro leaves and fresh lime wedges if desires.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, hot Hungarian if desired
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container.
Adapted from a recipe on Allrecipes
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
- In a small bowl add the zest, juice, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper. Whisk together to dissolve the sugar. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking until the mixture is blended and smooth. Stir in the cilantro and refrigerate until needed.
Adapted from a recipe on Epicurious
We LOVE this seasoning and have been making it for years. It fits into all our Mexican inspired recipes and is less salty that the store bought pre-mixed package varieties.
Most of all I want to share our wonderful news! Our granddaughter Isabelle Taylor finally decided to make her appearance 8 days late! Isabelle was born on Monday, June 20th weighing in at 8 lbs 6 ounces and 21.5 inches long. Mother, father, and brother Isaac are all doing great! 3 million photos coming soon – haha – maybe just a few hundred! Our daughter Allie just turned 28 years old but I think she looks 16 in this photo. She is so happy and I bet Isabelle will be one of the frilliest, best dressed little girls ever! We are truly blessed.
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend and thanks so much for stopping by!